Today's business services are more complex than ever, composed of an ever‑changing mix of older and next-generation technologies. When service problems occur in your environment, operations staff must frequently rely on individual management tools and manual correlation to identify the cross-domain service impact and root cause of problems. These separate tools do not offer the level of integration you need to provide visibility of services across compute, network, and storage infrastructure and to thereby track service-level agreements (SLAs), key performance indicators (KPIs), and other metrics in real time. This lack of broad visibility and real-time troubleshooting is problematic for your operations staff, business users, and customers.
To effectively streamline problem resolution and optimize service performance, operations staff needs an automated way to maintain accurate service models, identify service failures and degradations, and track critical business and operational indicators. They need a better way to prioritize response based on business impact.
IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime™ Business Service Manager is the solution. It enables business and operations staff to understand the complex relationships between business services and supporting technology. How? By providing organizations with advanced, real-time visualization of services and processes that can be viewed on customizable service dashboards.
The solution integrates data from a broad array of IT resources and business support systems. These resources include networks, applications, systems, and business-related assets. IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime Business Service Manager tracks business activity, revenue, and operational indicators. It uses existing investments in Cisco and third-party products, helping streamline mean time to resolution (MTTR) and improve productivity. A real-time, federated service model facilitates automated service impact analysis, root-cause analysis, and real-time tracking of SLAs and KPIs to help improve service visibility and responsiveness (see Figure 1).
Figure 1. Maximize Performance with Real-Time Service Visibility and Intelligence
IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime Business Service Manager provides these key features:
● Improved service visibility and intelligence for operations staff, business users, and customers with real-time dashboards, including KPIs, balanced scorecards, and SLA tracking
● Use of existing Cisco® and third-party management tools to provide a service dashboard overlay view in addition to traditional network operations views
● Improved operational efficiency with integrated visualization and reporting across Cisco and third-party tools
● Streamlined problem resolution with real-time service modeling and automated impact and root-cause analysis
● Integrated end-to-end management across distributed environments
Features and Benefits
● Service impact analysis: Rapidly pinpoints the actual impact of problems on overall service availability, performance, integrity, and business activity
● Real-time SLA tracking: Allows administrators to define and track compliance with service levels in real time
● Role-based views: Offers flexible and customizable visualization across executive, line-of-business manager, operations staff, and customer audiences
● Real-time key performance indicators: Calculates real-time business and operational metrics for more effective decision making
● Root-cause analysis: Automatically identifies the specific causes of service problems across operational silos and dependencies for faster cross-domain problem resolution
Access Real-Time Event, Relationship, and Transactional Data from across the Business
Unlike traditional tools that use static data, the solution offers real-time data access. It collects event data, configuration item interdependencies, and business transactional information wherever they reside, from virtually any data source. It extends far beyond traditional service modeling and measurement products that integrate only with management products by the same vendor or a subset of third-party monitoring or event tools.
By collecting and analyzing a broad mix of availability, performance, security, and business events and data sources, the software helps you see and manage potential threats to your critical business services and processes more comprehensively, easily, and effectively than previous solutions.
Built-In Integrations Deliver Immediate Value
IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime Business Service Manager facilitates faster time to value with easy integrations to events and data sources, including:
● Event management and monitoring products: Includes Cisco monitoring products as well as hundreds of built-in integrations with third-party domain, event, and performance management tools and operational support systems to support automated analysis and track service health
● Dependency sources: Includes configuration management databases (CMDBs), asset sources, inventory tools, and other dependency sources
Understand the Impact of IT and Business Events on Services
Unlike other business service management software, the solution provides complete visibility into business services and processes, helping organizations visualize cross-domain dependencies and automatically identify the impact of availability, performance, security, and business events as they relate to service health. As organizations look to improve alignment with the business, the ability to understand non-IT events (such as business activity on service performance) will become increasingly important to help mitigate business risk.
Streamline Operations with Integrated Visualization
Fully customizable, Cisco Prime Business Service Manager dashboards give users the freedom to control screen layout, to mix and match real-time and historical views, and to move views to the location and placement they choose. Staff can quickly and easily tailor dashboards to include any mix of gauges, charts and graphs, topological views, image files, and more. Integrating geographic-information-system (GIS) maps helps show service status and the location of service impact by specific geographic location.
Enhance Problem Resolution with Real-Time Service Intelligence
IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime software goes beyond traditional offerings that focus primarily on IT dependencies and do not reflect service status based on the specific variables and events that are unique to your business. A federated information model helps you actively and dynamically collect and map dependency information into a common data model, measure service impact, and perform accurate service-quality analysis. As a result, you can:
● Help maximize return on investment on CMDBs through direct, built-in integration and dynamic modeling support
● Integrate existing application and network discovery tools to synchronize service models with dynamically changing environments
● Provide complete, end-to-end service definitions incorporating distributed and host-based resources
Track Real-Time KPIs in Balanced Scorecards
IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime uses business and operational support data across distributed and mainframe environments. It can use these sources for both real-time and historical information when calculating KPIs, so you can track operational and business activity in real time. Trackable business metrics include:
● Transactional volume and availability
● Service revenue totals, levels, and SLA penalties by customer
● Change requests that may affect the service
● Incident and problem records
Drawing on event and service-activity information throughout the business, IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime Business Service Manager generates a dynamically updated balanced scorecard that includes the KPIs of service health and business and operational performance. As indicators are updated, the solution automatically tracks and updates the relational impact. Users can easily switch between their own integrated, contextual views and add, remove, and tailor the content of the scorecard view. Detailed service dependency views provide rapid visibility into the service impact and the root cause of the service problems. Users get precise, role-specific views to support services, manage profit and loss, visualize specific SLAs, and more.
Automate Service Root-Cause and Impact Analysis
IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime Business Service Manager automatically processes IT events and business health metrics against the service model to determine the service impact and root cause of problems and to prioritize responses across services and operational silos. Event types include availability, performance, integrity (including security and storage), business health metrics (transaction volume, orders, calls), and more.
By analyzing information drawn from virtually any operational and business data source in the context of your specific service health criteria, IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime Business Service Manager provides the actionable intelligence needed to automate root-cause analysis and service impact analysis; identify transaction and process bottlenecks; track business, compliance, and risk indicators; and more.
Track SLA Compliance
The service-level tracking function of BSM/CP enables administrators to define and track compliance with service levels in real time. You can monitor and measure SLA compliance for any and all service components, such as transactions, applications, systems, networks, applications, and processes. Use it to track SLA states, total downtime, downtime costs, and more.
Easily Scale to Accommodate Growing Business Service Demands
IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime Business Service Manager is specially designed to support both split front- and back-end and single-server deployments, enabling it to scale visualization and analysis processing to hundreds of simultaneous users and the largest environments as business needs dictate. The software offers a management platform for large growth that lets you stipulate how you wish to deploy service across the globe. In addition to its superior scalability, the solution is designed for high resilience, with clustering technology on the front end and high availability and failover capabilities on the back end.
The solution can also be installed on, and make full use of, VMware, Solaris Zones, and other virtualization technologies for improved use of existing hardware resources.
About Cisco Prime Software
The Cisco Prime portfolio of IT and service provider management offerings empowers organizations to more effectively manage their networks and the services they deliver. Built on a service-centered foundation, Cisco Prime software supports integrated lifecycle management through an intuitive workflow-oriented user experience, providing A-to-Z management for evolved programmable networks, mobility, video, cloud, and managed services.
For More Information
For more information about IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime:
● Visit http://www.cisco.com/go/cic
● Send an email message to ask firstname.lastname@example.org
● Contact your local Cisco account representative
For more information about Cisco Prime products for carrier-grade networks, go to: