Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager
Today's business services are more complex than ever, composed of an ever-changing mix of legacy and next-generation technologies. When service problems occur, operations staff must frequently rely on point management tools and manual correlation to identify the cross-domain service impact and root cause. These tools do not offer the level of integration needed to provide holistic service visibility and track service-level agreements (SLAs), key performance indicators (KPIs), and other metrics in real time that operations staff, business users, and customers increasingly require.
To effectively streamline problem resolution and optimize service performance, the operations staff needs an automated way to maintain accurate service models, identify service failures and degradations, and track critical business and operational indicators. Furthermore, operations need a way to prioritize response based on business impact.
Cisco® Info Center Business Service Manager, based on the market leading Tivoli® Netcool® technology from IBM®, helps business and operations staff understand the complex relationships between business services and supporting technology. It provides organizations with advanced, real-time visualization of services and processes, as well as customizable service dashboards.
Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager incorporates data from a broad array of IT resources and business support systems, including networks, applications, systems, and business-related assets to track business activity, revenue, or operational indicators. It makes use of existing investments in Cisco and third-party products, helping streamline mean time to resolution and improve productivity. A real-time, federated service model facilitates automated service impact analysis, root-cause analysis, and real-time tracking of SLAs and KPIs to help improve service visibility and responsiveness. See Figure 1.
Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager provides the following:
● Improved service visibility and intelligence for operations staff, business users, and customers with real-time dashboards, including key performance indicators, balanced scorecards, and SLA tracking
● Uses existing Cisco and third-party management tools to provide a service dashboard overlay view to traditional network operations views
● Improves operational efficiency with integrated visualization and reporting across Cisco and third-party tools
● Streamlines problem resolution with real-time service modeling and automated impact and root-cause analysis
● Achieves integrated end-to-end management across distributed environments
Features and Benefits
● Service impact analysis: Rapidly pinpoints the actual impact of problems on overall service availability, performance, integrity, and business activity
● Real-time SLA tracking: Allows administrators to define and track compliance with service levels in real time
● Role-based views: Offers flexible and customizable visualization across executive, line-of-business manager, operations staff, and customer audiences
● Real-time key performance indicators: Calculates real-time business and operational metrics for more effective decision making
● Root cause analysis: Automatically identifies the specific cause of service problems across operational silos and dependencies for faster cross-domain problem resolution
Access Real-Time Event, Relationship, and Transactional Data from Across the Business
Unlike traditional tools that make use of static data, Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager offers real-time data access; collecting event data, configuration item interdependencies and business transactional information wherever they reside, from virtually any data source. In this way, it extends far beyond traditional service modeling and measurement products that only integrate with same-vendor management products or a subset of third-party monitoring or event tools.
By collecting and analyzing across a broad mix of availability, performance, security and business event and data sources, the software helps you see and manage potential threats to your critical business services and processes more easily and effectively than ever before.
Built-in Integrations Deliver Immediate Value
Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager facilitates faster time to value with easy integrations to event and data sources, such as:
● Event management and monitoring products: Includes Cisco monitoring products, as well as hundreds of built-in integrations with third-party domain, event, and performance management tools and operational support systems to support automated analysis and track service health.
● Dependency sources: Includes configuration management databases (CMDBs), asset sources, inventory tools, and other dependency sources.
Understand the Impact of IT and Business Events on Services
Unlike other business service management software, Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager provides complete visibility into business services and processes, helping enable organizations to visualize cross-domain dependencies, as well as automatically identify the impact of availability, performance, security, and business events on service health. As organizations look to improve alignment with the business, the ability to understand non-IT events, such as business activity on service performance, will become increasingly important to help mitigate business risk.
Streamline Operations with Integrated Visualization
Fully customizable, Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager dashboards give users the freedom to control screen layout, mix and match real-time and historical views, and move views to the location and placement they choose. Staff can quickly and easily tailor dashboards to include any mix of gauges, charts and graphs, topological views, image files, and more. Integrating geographic information system (GIS) maps helps show service status and the location of service impact by specific geographic location.
Enhance Problem Resolution with Real-Time Service Intelligence
Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager goes beyond traditional offerings that focus primarily on IT dependencies and do not reflect service status based on the specific variables and events that are unique to your business. A federated information model helps enable you to actively and dynamically collect and map dependency information into a common data model, to measure service impact, and perform accurate service quality analysis. As a result, you can:
● Help maximize return on investment on CMDBs through direct, built-in integration and dynamic modeling support
● Integrate existing application and network discovery tools to synchronize service models with dynamically changing environments
● Provide complete, end-to-end service definitions incorporating distributed and host-based resources
Track Real-Time KPIs in Balanced Scorecards
Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager makes use of business and operational support data across distributed and mainframe environments. It can use these sources for both real-time and historical information when calculating key performance indicators, so you can track operational and business activity in real time. Trackable business metrics include:
● Transactional volume and availability
● Service revenue totals, levels, and SLA penalties by customer
● Change requests that may affect the service
● Incident and problem records
Drawing on event and service activity information throughout the business, Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager generates a dynamically updated "balanced scorecard" that includes the KPIs of service health and business and operational performance. As indicators are updated, Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager automatically tracks and updates the relational impact. Users can easily switch between their own integrated, contextual views and add, remove, and tailor the content of the scorecard view. Detailed service dependency views provide rapid visibility into the service impact and the root cause of the service problems. Consequently, users have precise, role-specific views to support services, manage profit and loss, visualize specific SLAs, and more.
Automate Service Root-Cause and Impact Analysis
Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager automatically processes IT events or business health metrics against the service model to determine the service impact and root cause of problems and to prioritize responses across services and operational silos. Event types include availability, performance, integrity (including security and storage), business health metrics (transaction volume, orders, calls), and more.
By analyzing information drawn from virtually any operational and business data source in the context of your specific service health criteria, Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager provides the actionable intelligence needed to automate root-cause analysis and service impact analysis, identify transaction and process bottlenecks, track business, compliance, and risk indicators, and more.
Track SLA Compliance
The service level tracking functionality of Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager enables administrators to define and track compliance with service levels in real time. You can monitor and measure SLA compliance for any and all service components, such as transactions, applications, systems, networks, applications and processes. Use it to track SLA states, total downtime, downtime costs, and more.
Easily Scale to Accommodate Growing Business Service Demands
Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager is specially designed to support both "split" front- and back-end and single-server deployments, enabling it to scale visualization and analysis to hundreds of simultaneous users and the largest environments as business needs dictate. The software offers a management platform for large growth that lets you stipulate how you wish to deploy service-across the globe. In addition to its superior scalability, Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager is designed for high resilience, with clustering technology on the front end and high availability and failover capabilities on the back end.
Cisco Info Center Business Service Manager can also be installed on, and fully make use of, VMware, Solaris Zones, and other virtualization technologies for improved use of existing hardware resources.
For more information on Cisco Info Center and ordering details, please contact the product marketing group at ask‑firstname.lastname@example.org.
For More Information
For more information about Cisco Info Center visitor contact your local Cisco account representative.