PDF(62.5 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:Dec 23, 2009
CiscoWorks Network Compliance Manager (NCM) tracks and regulates configuration and software changes throughout a multivendor network infrastructure. It provides superior visibility into network changes and can track compliance with a broad variety of regulatory, IT, corporate governance, and technology requirements. NCM helps IT staff identify and correct trends that could lead to problems such as network instability and service interruption.
NCM 1.5 includes the following new features:
• Virtual device and virtual context support: NCM now provides support for virtual devices, including VMware's Virtual Switch (vSwitch) technology available through VMware's Infrastructure (ESX) and the Cisco Nexus 1000v Series switches. These new virtual devices can be managed alongside legacy devices, providing centralized support. Virtual devices, as well as devices that support virtual contexts, now benefit from device relationship enhancements that provide management of non-IP addressed contexts, as well as views of the underlying relationships between the actual hardware and virtual contexts.
• Enhanced relationship modeling: Devices may have relationships with other devices or contained modules that run an independent operating system-complete with a full configuration and interfaces. NCM 1.5 distinguishes relationship types including both user-defined and system-defined relationships.
• Enhanced task scheduling: Two key task management features, task prioritization and round-robin execution of group tasks, have been implemented to improve the execution order of tasks.
• Enhanced Device Selector and Device Group Explorer: With the enhanced Device Selector and Device Group Explorer you can easily navigate group trees to select devices and device groups for a variety of use cases.
• Enhanced VLAN support: NCM now provides functionalities necessary to view fully and to provision VLANs on network switches from different vendors.
• Link aggregation support: Using link aggregation support, NCM can list all of the links (or connections) associated with a specific port on a device. This information is gleaned from enhanced diagnostics or from new device context information. Link aggregation lets you manage a device with virtual contexts that assign multiple connections to a physical port.
• Provisioning and scripting API enhancements: You can now list device templates, show device template configurations, modify device template configurations, and provision devices using the Device Relationships API.
• Solaris 64-bit support: When installing NCM on a Solaris platform, NCM uses the 64-bit Java Virtual Machine (JVM). As a result, NCM can utilize more memory and achieve enhanced scalability and performance.
• Caching improvements: Caching improvements increase performance of many functions across the NCM product. Minimizing redundant data lookups such as driver lookup and device lookup while using memory more efficiently on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems have been implemented.
• Driver-defined diagnostics: Driver-defined diagnostics allow drivers to specify the set of diagnostics that are "standard" for that driver and define new basic diagnostics that the system will treat as "built in." The ability to define "standard" diagnostics for a device will allow more up-to-date diagnostic implementations for any given device.
NCM 1.5 is orderable beginning December 15, 2009, and begins shipping on December 18, 2009. NCM 1.5 can be ordered through regular sales channels. NCM 1.5 is also available for evaluation at
CiscoWorks NCM 1.5 is licensed on the number of nodes under management. Customers must purchase the NCM core software and incremental license bundles as needed to achieve the total number of required node licenses.
The high availability (HA) or horizontal scalability (HS) deployment option available for NCM requires additional licensing. Customers wishing to use this option must purchase the NCM HA/HS Software Media kit and HA/HS license bundles to achieve the total number of required node licenses. This total should match the number of standard node licenses purchased.
NCM satellites are optional and require the purchase of an NCM Satellite Media Kit and license for each deployed satellite.
CiscoWorks NCM Alert Center is an optional subscription service that requires purchase of the Alert Center core software and the incremental Alert Center license bundles to achieve the total number of required node licenses. Alert Center subscriptions are valid for one year and need to be repurchased each year to maintain access to the service.
Table 1 lists ordering information. CiscoWorks NCM 1.5 is available for purchase through regular Cisco sales and distribution channels worldwide. To place an order, visit the Cisco Ordering Homepage. Table 2 lists upgrade options for NCM.
Table 1. Ordering Information for CiscoWorks NCM 1.5
Base Part Numbers
CWNCM 1.5 Core Software Media Kit
CWNCM 1.5 HA/HS Software Media Kit
CWNCM 1.5 Satellite Software Media Kit and License
Incremental Core Licenses
CWNCM incremental core license for 100 managed nodes
CWNCM incremental core license for 100 managed nodes
CWNCM incremental core license for 500 managed nodes
CWNCM incremental core license for 1000 managed nodes
CWNCM incremental core license for 2500 managed nodes
CWNCM incremental core license for 5000 managed nodes
CWNCM incremental core license for 10,000 managed nodes
CWNCM incremental core license for 25,000 managed nodes
Incremental High Availability Licenses
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 50 nodes
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 100 nodes
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 500 nodes
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 1000 nodes
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 2500 nodes
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 5000 nodes
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 10,000 nodes
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 25,000 nodes
Incremental Alert Center One-Year Subscription Licenses
CWNCM Alert Center 1-Yr Subscription for 50 managed nodes
CWNCM Alert Center 1-Yr Subscription for 100 managed nodes
CWNCM Alert Center 1-Yr Subscription for 500 managed nodes
CWNCM Alert Center 1-Yr Subscription for 1000 managed nodes
CWNCM Alert Center 1-Yr Subscription for 2500 managed nodes
CWNCM Alert Center 1-Yr Subscription for 5000 managed nodes
CWNCM Alert Center 1-Yr Subscription for 10,000 managed nodes
CWNCM Alert Center 1-Yr Subscription for 25,000 managed nodes
* Nonconfigurable variants are also available for the noted part numbers. The nonconfigurable variant part numbers are formed by appending an equal sign (=) to the part number in the table (for example, CWNCM-1.5-CORE-K9=).
Note: For high availability or horizontal scalability deployments of NCM, please contact Cisco Advanced Services for installation and configuration services.
Note: NCM Alert Center is an optional subscription component that requires renewal on an annual basis.
Table 2. NCM Upgrade Options
User's Current Release
Has a current NCM service contract?
What to order for NCM 1.5
Any NCM 1.x release
Customers can request the appropriate NCM 1.5 media kits at no charge from the Cisco Product Upgrade Tool at http://www.cisco.com/upgrade. See Table 1 for the media kit part numbers.
Any NCM 1.x release
Customers can order the NCM 1.5 media kits using normal Cisco sales channels. See Table 1 for the media kit part numbers.
Service and Support
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare the network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, see
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.
NCM Collaboration Portal
A new collaboration portal is available for the NCM user community at
https://networkautomation.itorigin.net. This portal provides a wealth of information about NCM such as detailed training material, archived Video on Demands (VODs), discussion forums, NCM virtual machines, and other useful information.