PDF(105.0 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:February 19, 2009
CiscoWorks Network Compliance Manager (NCM) tracks and regulates configuration and software changes throughout a multivendor network infrastructure. It provides superior visibility into network changes and can track compliance with a broad variety of regulatory, IT, corporate governance, and technology requirements. CiscoWorks NCM helps IT staff identify and correct trends that could lead to problems such as network instability and service interruption.
New Features Introduced in Release 1.4
CiscoWorks NCM includes the following new features:
• Bare-metal provisioning: This feature allows the initial provisioning of devices "out-of the-box." A "bare-metal" driver is provided that allows execution of scripts against the device through a console server to bring the device onto the network.
• Network device templates: NCM creates a configuration template without having an actual device present. With network device templates, you can perform compliance checks, create policy rules, view and compare configurations (even between templates and actual devices), set password rules, and so on before you add the device to the production network.
• Security partitions: NCM establishes a set of objects for each partition to specify more granular permissions. NCM objects can include devices, users, command scripts, device password rules, policies, software images, and so on. Security partitions can be combined with a permissions model, group hierarchy, distribution of devices across NCM cores, and network diagramming.
• Autoremediation script enhancements: NCM defines variables in the script that reference data from regular expression pattern groups in a violated policy rule. The autoremediation pop-up window accesses the data on the Policy Rule page to show variable mappings, generate sample code, and validate the script before it is saved. Unlike standard command scripts, autoremediation scripts use a new language syntax to iterate over matches. Autoremediation scripts are processed and converted into command scripts that are run on network devices.
• HP Network Node Manager (NNM) integration enhancements: CiscoWorks NCM 1.4 includes significant integration enhancements with NNM 8.11 or later.
• Voice-over-IP (VoIP) support: Specific VoIP management elements are introduced that can be detected automatically in network devices and flagged accordingly. Interface quality of service (QoS) and access-control list (ACL) configuration sections are automatically parsed and displayed in the interface configuration summary for the specific interface. A device driver for Cisco® Unified Communications Manager is provided.
• MySQL 5.0 support: MySQL 5.0 is supported by CiscoWorks NCM 1.4 and included as part of the installer.
• Software image management process on gateway servers: Software image management is extended to remote devices reachable only through a CiscoWorks NCM Gateway.
• Upgraded Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol library and Secure Copy (SCP) support: CiscoWorks NCM 1.4 includes upgrades of SSHv1 and SSHv2 libraries to J2SSH's Maverick package. This upgrade increases flexibility, extensibility, and security of network device management.
• Updated operating system and database support: Support is added for SUSE 10 and RHEL AS 5. Support is removed for SUSE 9, RHEL AS 3.x, Solaris 9, and Windows 2000. Support is removed for Oracle 9i, Microsoft SQL Server 2000, and MySQL 3.x.
CiscoWorks Network Compliance Manager 1.4 is orderable beginning February 10, 2009, and begins shipping on February 17, 2009.
Table 1 lists ordering information. CiscoWorks NCM 1.4 is available for purchase through regular Cisco sales and distribution channels worldwide. To place an order, visit the Cisco Ordering Homepage.
Table 1. Ordering Information for CiscoWorks NCM 1.4
Software Application Support (SAS) Service (to receive technical support and future minor software updates)
Base Part Numbers
CWNCM core software only
CWNCM high availability software only
CWNCM Satellite single instance proxy software for remote distribution
CWNCM Alert Center Core software
Incremental Core Licenses
CWNCM incremental core license for 100 managed nodes
CWNCM incremental core license for 500 managed nodes
CWNCM incremental core license for 1000 managed nodes
CWNCM incremental core license for 2500 managed nodes
CWNCM incremental core license for 5000 managed nodes
CWNCM incremental core license for 10K managed nodes
CWNCM incremental core license for 25K managed nodes
Incremental High Availability Licenses
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 100 nodes
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 500 nodes
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 1000 nodes
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 2500 nodes
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 5000 nodes
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 10K nodes
CWNCM incremental high availability license for 25K nodes
Incremental Alert Center Licenses
CWNCM Alert Center for 100 managed nodes
CWNCM Alert Center for 500 managed nodes
CWNCM Alert Center for 1,000 managed nodes
CWNCM Alert Center for 2,500 managed nodes
CWNCM Alert Center for 5,000 managed nodes
CWNCM Alert Center for 10,000 managed nodes
CWNCM Alert Center for 25,000 managed nodes
* Nonconfigurable variants are also available for the noted part numbers. The nonconfigurable variant part numbers are formed by appending an equal sign (=) to the part number in the table (for example, CWNCM-1.4-CORE-K9=).
Service and Support
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare the network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, see
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.