CiscoWorks CiscoView is the most widely deployed device management software application that Cisco
® provides. CiscoWorks CiscoView is a Web-based graphical application that provides monitoring and configuration features for Cisco internetworking products (switches, routers, hubs, concentrators, and access servers). CiscoWorks CiscoView aids network management by displaying a physical view of a Cisco device, allowing users to easily interact with device components to change configuration parameters and monitor statistics and front-panel activity.
Being Web-based, CiscoWorks CiscoView allows ubiquitous access from any client with a standard browser, network access, and minimum hardware requirements. CiscoWorks CiscoView offers an intuitive interface for real-time device monitoring and easy device configuration, as well as new features that enhance its functionality and usability, such as support for Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) version 3, IPv6, and Mini-RMON. Easily integrated with CiscoWorks products or partner platforms, CiscoWorks CiscoView provides multiuser device management in the larger context of an end-to-end management solution.
New Features in CiscoWorks CiscoView
CiscoWorks CiscoView 6.1.6 provides the following new features:
• The CiscoWorks CiscoView Mini-RMON utility additionally supports the following device families:
– Cisco Catalyst® 2960 Series Switches
– Cisco 1800 Series Integrated Services Router
– Cisco 2800 Series Integrated Services Router
– Cisco 3800 Series Integrated Services Router
• Power over Ethernet (PoE) support in CiscoWorks CiscoView allows you to configure the device-level attributes and different parameters on each PoE-capable port. PoE is supported for the Cisco Catalyst 3750 and Cisco Catalyst 3560 device platforms.
• Improved performance in Mini-RMON monitor graphs: Refreshes individual graphs in Mini-RMON instead of the entire page for an improved user experience.
CiscoWorks CiscoView Features and Benefits
CiscoWorks CiscoView Web-based management aids network management by displaying a physical view of Cisco devices and color-coding device ports for at-a-glance port status, allowing users to quickly grasp essential information. CiscoWorks CiscoView features provide dynamic status, device monitoring, and comprehensive configuration information for Cisco networking devices.
Table 1 lists the features and benefits of CiscoWorks CiscoView.
Table 1. Features and Benefits
GUI and usability
• A pure HTML client, alleviating the need for additional client software or plug-ins
• Multiuser access to a single CiscoWorks CiscoView server through a Web-based client
• Intuitive new user interface; a continuously updated front-panel display of Cisco devices from a single location, giving network managers a complete view of Cisco products without physically checking each device (see Figure 1)
IP and SNMP updates
• IPv6 support
• SNMPv3 (Authorization, No Privacy) support
• Remote monitoring (RMON) support that assists users in gathering and utilizing vital device data collected by Mini-RMON groups
Device support and configuration management enhancements
• The ability to access the support for existing and new Cisco devices through the Web-based Package Support Updater (PSU) without having to purchase and install new versions of CiscoWorks CiscoView
• The ability to modify device configurations across router, switch, and access server products
• Common device selector that allows users to access a common device list entered through the Device Credentials Repository (DCR)
Device and traffic monitoring
• Real-time monitoring and tracking of key information and data relating to device performance, traffic, and environment, with metrics such as utilization percentage, frames transmitted and received, errors, and a variety of other device-specific indicators
Integration with Cisco Secure Access Control Server (ACS)
More granular user-access rules through Cisco Secure ACS server integration
CiscoWorks CiscoView is enhanced with a new graphical user interface that is a pure HTML client. See Figure 1.
Figure 1. CiscoWorks CiscoView User Interface
CiscoWorks CiscoView offers a new device selector graphical user interface to further simplify the management of devices. See Figure 2.
Figure 2. CiscoWorks CiscoView Device Selector
The modular design of CiscoWorks CiscoView allows users to add support for devices as necessary. Device support files can be downloaded through the Web-based CiscoWorks CiscoView PSU, located on the CiscoWorks desktop. PSU is used for scheduled and on-demand device support downloads from Cisco.com Software Center.
Please refer to the CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution (LMS) 3.0 product data sheet, under the Product Literature section at
http://www.cisco.com/go/lms, for specific hardware and software server and client requirements.
CiscoWorks CiscoView is part of the CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution. CiscoWorks LMS is available for ordering through regular Cisco sales and distribution channels worldwide. To place an order, visit the
Cisco Ordering Homepage.
Service and Support
Using the Cisco Lifecycle Services approach, Cisco and its partners provide a broad portfolio of end-to-end services and support that can help increase your network's business value and return on investment. This approach defines the minimum set of activities needed, by technology and by network complexity, to help you successfully deploy and operate Cisco technologies and optimize their performance throughout the lifecycle of your network.
For More Information
For more information about the CiscoWorks CiscoView application, visit
http://www.cisco.com/go/lms, contact your local Cisco account representative, or send an e-mail to the product marketing group at