● Reliability and distributed architecture: Cisco BAC provides high reliability and availability supporting autonomous headends, multiple distributed device provisioning engines (DPEs), each of which includes its own data-caching repository, a Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) server, and a time-of-day (ToD) server. During central server outages or communication problems, Cisco BAC provides continued service to existing registered subscribers.
● Scalability and performance: Cisco BAC can support millions of devices in distributed deployments. Cisco BAC uses multiple distributed device management and caching engines to balance processing of device requests. A single DPE can support as many as 2 million devices. These DPEs can be combined in groups to provide redundancy and load balancing. The regional distribution unit (RDU) is a central component used to manage service requests and modifications. A single RDU server in conjunction with the appropriate number of DPE groups can support as many as 60 million devices with a sustained rate of hundreds of thousands of new devices a day.
● Easy integration with current systems: Cisco BAC integrates with existing service provider systems, such as billing systems, operations support systems (OSSs), and other customer management systems, through a Java provisioning API.
● Extendable technology support: Cisco BAC supports DOCSIS cable modems and set-top boxes for high-speed data provisioning, PacketCable voice provisioning of media termination adapters (MTAs) and DOCSIS cable modems. It also can be extended to support other Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)-based devices, including non-DOCSIS cable modems.
● Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) server support for all components of BAC including DPE, RDU, and Key Distribution Center (KDC) components.
● Integrated Kerberos Protocol server (KDC) for PacketCable voice service provisioning
● Distributed architecture with high availability and disaster recovery leading to business continuity
● Highly scalable platform that can scale up to 60 million devices
● Dynamic DOCSIS file generation to reduce operational cost
● DOCSIS 3.0 support (channel bonding and IPv6 support)
● Support for mixed IPv4/IPv6 CPE environment
● Scripting interface for flexibility and automating configuration file generation using templates
● Support for CableLabs business services over DOCSIS standard
● Java-based provisioning API with single point of integration
● Embedded high-performance database, optimized for device provisioning
Product Licensing and Platform Requirements
For More Information
For additional product information, visitor contact your local account representative.