Cisco Acquires Portcullis
Acquisition expands and enhances Cisco's security services portfolio.
On September 30, 2015, Cisco completed the acquisition of Portcullis, a privately-held UK consultancy company providing cybersecurity services to enterprise clients and the government sector. Portcullis delivers a comprehensive portfolio of security services including web application assessments, network penetration testing, and incident response.
With the acquisition of Portcullis, Cisco is able to provide broader global support across the security services portfolio, setting us apart from competitors and improving our ability to act as a strategic advisor to our clients.
Portcullis has a long history of providing security consulting services in Europe, with an extensive customer network, and a respected reputation for penetration testing of web applications and infrastructure. With this acquisition, they will also bring to Cisco a strong pool of talent and key UK security certifications.
Portcullis' security expertise, research agenda, and strong customer relationships in Europe will integrate with the existing Cisco Advisory Services portfolio, enabling Cisco to accelerate growth of its security services business, and more quickly expand security consulting services outside the US. The acquisition of Portcullis will expand our geographical footprint in Europe and complement the talent and skills we acquired through the Neohapsis acquisition in January 2015.
Cisco provides a robust portfolio of security, risk and compliance services and delivers comprehensive solutions to help clients securely protect and grow their business. We help our clients overcome operational and technical security challenges, anticipate and respond to new threats, and drive new business.
- Q: What did Cisco acquire?
- A: Cisco acquired Portcullis, a privately-held UK consultancy company providing cybersecurity services to enterprise clients and the government sector. Ã‚Â Portcullis delivers a comprehensive portfolio of security services including web application assessments, network penetration assessments, forensics, and incident response.
- Q: Can you explain Portcullis' service offerings?
- A: Portcullis delivers a range of deeply technical professional security services from CISO-for-hire to a breadth of application and infrastructure assessments.
- Q: Can you provide an example of how Portcullis works with their clients?
- A: Portcullis works closely with clients to improve their overall security posture. They offer current state assessments to identify design flaws and vulnerabilities, forensic testing, first responder training for organizations seeking to prepare for attacks, policy review and creation, security awareness training, and ISO 27001 auditing to help define improvements to the overall security program.
- Q: Will Cisco transition to Portcullis' consulting-led business model?
- A: Cisco already offers consulting services through Cisco Services. Portcullis services will be integrated into the Cisco Security Advisory Services portfolio within the Cisco Security Solutions organization, led by VP James Mobley.
- Q: Why did Cisco choose Portcullis?
- A: Portcullis' security expertise, research agenda, and strong customer relationships in Europe will enable Cisco to provide broader global support for the security services portfolio outside the US. Portcullis' long history, exceptional talent, and key security certifications accelerates our opportunities for growth, market credibility, and security solution pull-through.
- Q: Why is Cisco acquiring a security services company like Portcullis now?
- A: Security is top-of-mind for Fortune 500 companies today; with a significant global talent shortage in security, CISOs and CIOs are looking for security partners that can deliver both a comprehensive security portfolio and a strong background in security consulting services. Portcullis will enable Cisco to better meet the needs of our customers in EMEAR by extending our talent pool and market footprint. This acquisition is aligned to Cisco security's Build, Buy, Partner strategy.
- Q: How is this different from the recent Neohapsis acquisition in January 2015?
- A: Portcullis' security consultancy offerings are complementary to the offerings from the Neohapsis acquisition, but in the EMEAR region. The Portcullis acquisition will accelerate growth and expand our Advisory Services team.
If you are an existing customer or partner of Portcullis and have questions about your product or service, please continue to contact your existing Portcullis sales representative until told otherwise.
Cisco Customers and Partners:
Cisco Customers: If you are an existing customer or partner of Cisco and have questions about your product or services, please continue to contact your existing Cisco sales representative. If you are a new customer and would like more information on Cisco Security Advisory Services please contact us.
Portcullis customers should continue to work with Portcullis contacts on current and planned professional services engagements. Cisco will notify you in advance of any changes.
Cisco customers should continue to work with Cisco contacts for non-Portcullis services and for technical support on Cisco products. For more information about technical support and regional Technical Assistance Center telephone numbers, refer to Cisco Worldwide Support Contacts.
This acquisition supports Cisco's GTM security strategy. Existing Cisco partners will continue to have the flexibility of offering their own services and/or the opportunity to complement their portfolio by reselling from the portfolio of Cisco Security Solutions.
By promoting Cisco Security Advisory Services with our customers, we expect to increase demand for these types of services, which will benefit both Cisco and its partners. Portcullis' security advisory expertise, advanced research, and security tools and methodology, expand and accelerate Cisco's Security Solutions and support our strategy to deliver intelligent cybersecurity for the real world.
By offering Portcullis' services, partners will be able to:
- Complement and expand their security services portfolios globally with minimal investment
- Address emerging technology security in cloud, mobility, and applications
- Pull through additional products and services to increase deal size and profit
- Enhance their trusted advisor status with customers