Cisco OpenStack Private Cloud
A true public cloud experience on your premises with complete administrative control
On September 29th, 2014 Cisco completed the acquisition of privately held Metacloud. Based in Pasadena, Calif., Metacloud deploys and operates private clouds for global organizations with a unique OpenStack Private Cloud as-a-Service model that delivers and operates production-ready private clouds, in any data center, at a fraction of the cost of other public and private cloud options.
Metacloud's OpenStack-based cloud platform will accelerate Cisco's strategy to build the world's largest global Intercloud, a network of clouds, together with key partners to address customer requirements for a globally distributed, highly secure cloud platform capable of meeting the robust demands of the Internet of Everything. Since announcing its Intercloud strategy in March 2014, Cisco has made rapid progress, enlisting key technology partners, service and cloud providers, all of whom are committed to standardizing upon the Cisco Cloud Services architecture, which is based on OpenStack open source software for building private and public clouds.
Metacloud will now be called Cisco OpenStack Private Cloud, which delivers a true public cloud experience for users on our customer's premises, behind the firewall, and with complete administrative control. It's a production-ready OpenStack solution that we engineer, deploy, and remotely operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, as a service.
- Q: What is Metacloud's product?
- A: Metacloud deploys and operates private clouds for global organizations with a unique OpenStack-as-a-Service model that delivers and operates production-ready private clouds. Built with hybrid architectures in mind, Metacloud eases customer migration to the cloud, providing the choice, flexibility, and data governance our customers and partners are looking for. Metacloud's software focuses on engineering and operating the private cloud, which enables organizations to focus on building and operating applications.
- Q: How does Metacloud complement Cisco's Intercloud strategy (i.e. benefit Cisco)?
A: Cloud computing has dramatically changed the IT landscape. To enable greater business agility and help lower costs, organizations are shifting from a primarily on-premise IT structure to hybrid IT: a mix of private cloud, public cloud, and on-premise applications. The resulting silos present a challenge to IT administrators. Choice, visibility, data sovereignty and protection in a world of many clouds, requires use of an open platform. With OpenStack as a critical design point, Cisco and its partners are bringing together organizations' private clouds, major public clouds, and Cisco and Partner clouds into the Intercloud, the world's largest cloud of clouds. Enterprise IT is seeking to match the as-a-Service benefits of public cloud with the security and control provided by private cloud. Consequently, service providers are looking for ways to help them.
Metacloud's remote managed OpenStack Private Cloud—as—a—service enables IT teams to offer an open private cloud for their users. Built with hybrid architectures in mind, Metacloud eases customer migration to the cloud, while providing the choice, flexibility, and data governance our customers and partners are looking for. Metacloud's team and technology will complement Cisco's existing Cloud Services team and partners to help advance our Intercloud delivery by providing the broadest choice across private, public, and hybrid clouds; across distributions; in heterogeneous infrastructure environments; on-premise and off.
- Q: What is Cisco's Intercloud strategy?
- A: Cisco Intercloud is an open-source based solution that offers customers the ability to seamlessly migrate and place workloads in both private and public service provider clouds in heterogeneous environments, supporting multiple virtualization and cloud-management technologies. Cisco and its Partners are building the world's largest global Intercloud, architected with a distributed network and security architecture designed for high-value application workloads, real-time analytics, "near infinite" scalability and full compliance with local data sovereignty requirements. The Intercloud will offer an expanded suite of Cisco Cloud Services from a global network of Cisco and partner data centers. The open, hybrid Intercloud will be built upon industry-leading Cisco cloud technologies and use OpenStack for its open standards-based global infrastructure. Cisco's Intercloud will feature APIs for rapid application development, and will deliver a new enterprise-class portfolio of cloud IT services for businesses, service providers and resellers.
If you are an existing customer or partner of Metacloud and have questions about your product or service, please continue to contact your existing Metacloud sales representative.
If you are an existing customer or partner of Cisco and have questions about your product or services, please continue to contact your existing Cisco sales representative.
Metacloud customers should continue to use the existing process for support on installed Metacloud products. Cisco will notify you in advance of any change to the support process.
Cisco customers should continue to use the Cisco TAC for technical support on Cisco products. For more information about opening a technical support case and for regional TAC telephone numbers, refer to Cisco Worldwide Support Contacts.
Strengthening Cisco's Intercloud Strategy
Metacloud's OpenStack-based cloud platform will accelerate Cisco's strategy to build the world's largest global Intercloud, a network of clouds, together with key partners to address customer requirements for a globally distributed, highly secure cloud platform capable of meeting the robust demands of the Internet of Everything.